When it comes to laws, truth is stranger than fiction!
We are dedicated to building the repository of dumb laws on our puny planet. Whether they’re Republicans or Democrats, Labour Party, or Conservative Party, Obama or Bush, no government has a monopoly on creating stupid laws. Although the bulk of our laws come from the United States, we have a large and growing collection from other countries – Canada, United Kingdom, Japan, Mexico, and many others. Our collection is expanding daily, so visit often for updates! Thanks to many contributors, (such as Bukh Law Firm) we now have the largest collection of dumb laws on the Internet!
Most Popular Stupid Laws
- A man can legally beat his wife, but not more than once a month.
- If you are released from prison, you must be given a handgun with bullets and a horse.
- You may shoot Native Americans if more than five of them are on your property.
- It’s illegal to carry a Bible or to talk to anyone about Jesus Christ.
- Since 1173 it has been illegal to die.
- All business signs in the province of Quebec must be in French.
- All lollipops are banned.
- It is illegal to say any sentence containing more than 4 words in English.
- It is considered an offense to shower naked.
- Eating a neighbor’s baby is strictly forbidden.
Most Recent Stupid Laws
- Bicycles are not allowed in the tennis courts.
- A provision in Lokeren forbids “fortune telling, interpretation of dreams, quackery, and all related practices”.
- Public games are prohibited, unless prior written consent is provided by the mayor at least 8 days in advance.
- Street musicians can be fined for playing off-key.
- Dogs and oxen can be requisitioned to propel army vehicles.
- None shall take your last cow (or 12 sheep), pig, or 24 chickens.
- No Dutch Royals may hold a position of power or public authority in Belgium.
- The King of Belgium can mobilize troops in Congo.
- In Oregon, a dead person cannot be required to serve on a jury.
- In Illinois, animals can be sent to jail.
Random Stupid Laws
- Non-prescriptive sunglasses, hats, clothing that exposes armpits, a bare back or midriff, see-through clothing, and accessories with protruding metal spikes are not be worn in school
- Watermelons are prohibited
- Bands who play in clubs where alcohol is served may not leave the stage while performing.
- You may not smoke within 100 feet of the entrance to a public building.
- Any person who leans against a public building will be subject to fines.
- Citizens may not take showers on Wednesdays.
- If you wear New York Jets clothing, you may be put in jail.
- Can’t cut off a chicken’s head on Sunday.
- “R” rated movies shall not be shown at drive-in theaters.
- No ass can stand on a sidewalk within town limits