When it comes to laws, truth is stranger than fiction!
We are dedicated to building the repository of dumb laws on our puny planet. Whether they’re Republicans or Democrats, Labour Party, or Conservative Party, Obama or Bush, no government has a monopoly on creating stupid laws. Although the bulk of our Stupid Laws come from the United States, we have a large and growing collection of laws from other countries – Canada, United Kingdom, Japan, Mexico, and many others. Our collection is expanding daily, so visit often for updates!Thanks to many contributors, we now have the largest collection of dumb laws on the Internet!
Most Popular Stupid Laws
- If you are released from prison, you must be given a handgun with bullets and a horse.
- A man can legally beat his wife, but not more than once a month.
- You may shoot Native Americans if more than five of them are on your property.
- It’s illegal to carry a Bible or to talk to anyone about Jesus Christ.
- Since 1173 it has been illegal to die.
- All business signs in the province of Quebec must be in French.
- It is considered an offense to shower naked.
- All lollipops are banned.
- Eating a neighbor’s baby is strictly forbidden.
- It is illegal to say any sentence containing more than 4 words in English.
Most Recent Stupid Laws
- In Oregon, a dead person cannot be required to serve on a jury.
- In Illinois, animals can be sent to jail.
- It was once illegal to not wear clothes while taking a bath in a bathtub.
- It is illegal to paint a horse in Vermont.
- It is illegal to own gold
- It is illegal to store your own stuff in your own garage
- Atheists are disqualified from holding office or testifying as witness.
- An invitation from a third party trumps a restraining order
- A statute forbids people in bathing suits from appearing uncovered on the streets in Waikīkī.
- Surfers must express themselves using a vocabulary of no more than one hundred words.
Random Stupid Laws
- It is illegal for a person to ride on the handlebars of a bike.
- Women must not drive while wearing a house coat.
- It is illegal to set a mousetrap without a hunting license.
- It’s illegal to drink beer out of a bucket while sitting on the curb.
- A group of 5 or more Native Americans are to be considered a raiding party and may be killed on the spot.
- Clothes may not be hung to dry on Sunday.
- Face masks may not be worn in public.
- There is to be no rollerblading during daylight hours, on the roads, or on the bricks.
- County jails aren’t allowed to spend more than 50 cents per day on prisoners
- Watermelons are prohibited