When it comes to laws, truth is stranger than fiction!
We are dedicated to building the repository of dumb laws on our puny planet. Whether they’re Republicans or Democrats, Labour Party, or Conservative Party, Obama or Bush, no government has a monopoly on creating stupid laws. Although the bulk of our laws come from the United States, we have a large and growing collection from other countries – Canada, United Kingdom, Japan, Mexico, and many others. Our collection is expanding daily, so visit often for updates! Thanks to many contributors, (such as Bukh Law Firm) we now have the largest collection of dumb laws on the Internet!
Most Popular Stupid Laws
- A man can legally beat his wife, but not more than once a month.
- If you are released from prison, you must be given a handgun with bullets and a horse.
- You may shoot Native Americans if more than five of them are on your property.
- It’s illegal to carry a Bible or to talk to anyone about Jesus Christ.
- All business signs in the province of Quebec must be in French.
- Since 1173 it has been illegal to die.
- All lollipops are banned.
- It is considered an offense to shower naked.
- Eating a neighbor’s baby is strictly forbidden.
- It is illegal to say any sentence containing more than 4 words in English.
Most Recent Stupid Laws
- Bicycles are not allowed in the tennis courts.
- A provision in Lokeren forbids “fortune telling, interpretation of dreams, quackery, and all related practices”.
- Public games are prohibited, unless prior written consent is provided by the mayor at least 8 days in advance.
- Street musicians can be fined for playing off-key.
- Dogs and oxen can be requisitioned to propel army vehicles.
- None shall take your last cow (or 12 sheep), pig, or 24 chickens.
- No Dutch Royals may hold a position of power or public authority in Belgium.
- The King of Belgium can mobilize troops in Congo.
- In Oregon, a dead person cannot be required to serve on a jury.
- In Illinois, animals can be sent to jail.
Random Stupid Laws
- Don’t try to do any kind of fancy bicycle riding in this town.
- You don’t necessarily have to be a Belgian citizen to vote in the general election.
- A person may not cross state lines with a duck atop his head.
- Ice skating at the Riverside pond during the months of June and August is prohibited.
- You may only have one child, or a massive fine will be imposed.
- Woman are not allowed to drive a car.
- Employers of bars must not let their bartenders serve while they are drunk themselves.
- It is illegal to open an umbrella on a street, for fear of it spooking horses. (Repealed)
- Maintaining a car on your property which is no longer in use is prohibited.
- It is illegal for women to stand within five feet of a bar while drinking.