Stupid Laws, Idiotic Laws, Funny Laws, Dumb Laws!
We can’t make this stuff up, it’s too good!
We are dedicated to building the repository of stupid laws on our puny planet. Whether they’re Republicans or Democrats, Labour Party, or Conservative Party, Obama or Bush, no government has a monopoly on creating stupid laws. Although the bulk of our Stupid Laws come from the United States, we have a large and growing collection of laws from other countries – Canada, United Kingdom, Japan, Mexico, and many others.
Thanks to many contributors, we now have the largest collection of dumb laws on the Internet!
Feel free to browse our large collection of dumb laws. You’ll find laws categorized by country and state on the left, and laws placed into topics on the right. Our collection is expanding daily, so visit often for updates!
- If you are released from prison, it is required that you are given a handgun with bullets and a horse, so you can ride out of town. (117)
- A man can legally beat his wife, but not more than once a month. (90)
- You may shoot Native Americans if there are more than five of them on your property at any one time. (57)
- It’s illegal to carry a Bible or to talk to anyone about Jesus Christ. (55)
- Since 1173 it has been illegal to die. (48)
- It is considered an offense to shower naked. (45)
- Eating a neighbor’s baby is strictly forbidden. (42)
- All lollipops are banned. (41)
- It is illegal to say any sentence containing more than 4 words in English. (39)
- You may only have one child, or a massive fine will be imposed. (34)
- Atheists are disqualified from holding office or testifying as witness.
- In College Station, Texas, you can have a restraining order placed on someone from a property (apartment, duplex, business building) however, if the restrained person is invited by another person, they can enter the property legally. Officers can come and tell them there is a restraining order for them at that location, but cannot make them leave if they are with the person who invited them.
- A statute forbids people in bathing suits from appearing uncovered on the streets and in the shops and eateries in Waikīkī.
- One law I’m fond of, but that isn’t included here, requires surfers to express themselves at all times using a vocabulary of no more that one hundred words. A surfer can choose which hundred words will be at his beck and call, but once chosen there can be no deviation. I do so love he law.
- It is illegal to bite a landlord under any circumstances.
- It is illegal to park your horse “up wind” on a windy day.
- Local authorities can impose fines on people hiking nude in the Alps in the conservative canton of Appenzell.
- No pilot-in-command of an aircraft shall permit a person to enter or leave the aircraft during flight without a parachute.
- You can be fined $20 for swearing in public.
- It is illegal not to smile in public
- To own a dog over three months of age, one must obtain a license.
- It is against the law to dream about another man’s wife or cow.
- You can be legally married by publically introducing a person as your husband or wife 3 times.
- It is a felony to persistently tread on the cracks between paving stones on the sidewalk of a state highway.
- Roosters must be at least three hundred feet away from any residence if he wishes to crow.
- It is illegal to rob a bank and then shoot at the bank teller with a water pistol.
- In an attempt to “foster kindness” in the citizens of New Jersey, the month of May is designated “Kindness Awareness Month”.
- It is illegal to pretend you’re the offspring of someone and entitled to their estate
- Hunting and killing a deer while swimming is illegal.
- Sexually oriented businesses may not open for business on Sundays.