When it comes to laws, truth is stranger than fiction!
We are dedicated to building the repository of dumb laws on our puny planet. Whether they’re Republicans or Democrats, Labour Party, or Conservative Party, Obama or Bush, no government has a monopoly on creating stupid laws. Although the bulk of our laws come from the United States, we have a large and growing collection from other countries – Canada, United Kingdom, Japan, Mexico, and many others. Our collection is expanding daily, so visit often for updates! Thanks to many contributors, we now have the largest collection of dumb laws on the Internet!
Most Popular Stupid Laws
- A man can legally beat his wife, but not more than once a month.
- If you are released from prison, you must be given a handgun with bullets and a horse.
- You may shoot Native Americans if more than five of them are on your property.
- It’s illegal to carry a Bible or to talk to anyone about Jesus Christ.
- Since 1173 it has been illegal to die.
- All business signs in the province of Quebec must be in French.
- All lollipops are banned.
- It is illegal to say any sentence containing more than 4 words in English.
- It is considered an offense to shower naked.
- Eating a neighbor’s baby is strictly forbidden.
Most Recent Stupid Laws
- In Canada, it’s now legal to engage in oral sex with your pet.
- Royal Navy ships entering the Port of London must provide a barrel of rum to the Constable of the Tower of London.
- It is illegal to ride a cow while drunk.
- In Turin, it is illegal to dye your pet’s fur.
- It is illegal to have a bathtub in a private home in Ohio.
- It is illegal to dress up as a priest on Halloween.
- Bicycles are not allowed in the tennis courts.
- A provision in Lokeren forbids “fortune telling, interpretation of dreams, quackery, and all related practices”.
- Public games are prohibited, unless prior written consent is provided by the mayor at least 8 days in advance.
- Street musicians can be fined for playing off-key.
Random Stupid Laws
- No street-side trees may be planted that “obscure the air”
- No more than two baths may be taken within the confines of the city.
- A marriage can be declared void if either of the two persons is physically impotent.
- In Trinity college students can demand a glass of wine at any time during an exam, provided they are wearing their sword.
- Bars are required to stable, water and feed the horses of their patrons.
- Fiddlers and stay at home dads are considered vagrants
- Handcuffs may not be sold to minors.
- It is illegal to smoke any form of tobacco on Grafton Street
- If you wear a hat inside a theater, you may be fined.
- Getting married on a dare is grounds for an annulment.