When it comes to laws, truth is stranger than fiction!
We are dedicated to building the repository of dumb laws on our puny planet. Whether they’re Republicans or Democrats, Labour Party, or Conservative Party, Obama or Bush, no government has a monopoly on creating stupid laws. Although the bulk of our Stupid Laws come from the United States, we have a large and growing collection of laws from other countries – Canada, United Kingdom, Japan, Mexico, and many others. Our collection is expanding daily, so visit often for updates! Thanks to many contributors (such as Bukh Law Firm), we now have the largest collection of dumb laws on the Internet!
Most Popular Stupid Laws
- A man can legally beat his wife, but not more than once a month.
- If you are released from prison, you must be given a handgun with bullets and a horse.
- You may shoot Native Americans if more than five of them are on your property.
- It’s illegal to carry a Bible or to talk to anyone about Jesus Christ.
- Since 1173 it has been illegal to die.
- All business signs in the province of Quebec must be in French.
- Eating a neighbor’s baby is strictly forbidden.
- It is considered an offense to shower naked.
- All lollipops are banned.
- It is illegal to say any sentence containing more than 4 words in English.
Most Recent Stupid Laws
- In Oregon, a dead person cannot be required to serve on a jury.
- In Illinois, animals can be sent to jail.
- It was once illegal to not wear clothes while taking a bath in a bathtub.
- It is illegal to paint a horse in Vermont.
- It is illegal to own gold
- It is illegal to store your own stuff in your own garage
- Atheists are disqualified from holding office or testifying as witness.
- An invitation from a third party trumps a restraining order
- A statute forbids people in bathing suits from appearing uncovered on the streets in Waikīkī.
- Surfers must express themselves using a vocabulary of no more than one hundred words.
Random Stupid Laws
- All land must be left to the eldest son.
- Public urination is prohibited.
- Citizens may not swim in the public fountains within the city limits.
- Couples are banned from making love in an automobile unless the act takes place while the vehicle is parked on the couple’s own property.
- You may not shuck peanuts on the street.
- No one may ride a horse and buggy through the town square.
- You may not catch a fish with your hands.
- One’s pants may be worn no lower than five inches below the waist.
- No one can carry a bow and arrow within city limits.
- Appearing in public places wearing a “lewd dress” is prohibited.