When it comes to laws, truth is stranger than fiction!
We are dedicated to building the repository of dumb laws on our puny planet. Whether they’re Republicans or Democrats, Labour Party, or Conservative Party, Obama or Bush, no government has a monopoly on creating stupid laws. Although the bulk of our laws come from the United States, we have a large and growing collection from other countries – Canada, United Kingdom, Japan, Mexico, and many others. Our collection is expanding daily, so visit often for updates! Thanks to many contributors, (such as Bukh Law Firm) we now have the largest collection of dumb laws on the Internet!
Most Popular Stupid Laws
- A man can legally beat his wife, but not more than once a month.
- If you are released from prison, you must be given a handgun with bullets and a horse.
- You may shoot Native Americans if more than five of them are on your property.
- It’s illegal to carry a Bible or to talk to anyone about Jesus Christ.
- Since 1173 it has been illegal to die.
- All business signs in the province of Quebec must be in French.
- All lollipops are banned.
- It is illegal to say any sentence containing more than 4 words in English.
- It is considered an offense to shower naked.
- Eating a neighbor’s baby is strictly forbidden.
Most Recent Stupid Laws
- Bicycles are not allowed in the tennis courts.
- A provision in Lokeren forbids “fortune telling, interpretation of dreams, quackery, and all related practices”.
- Public games are prohibited, unless prior written consent is provided by the mayor at least 8 days in advance.
- Street musicians can be fined for playing off-key.
- Dogs and oxen can be requisitioned to propel army vehicles.
- None shall take your last cow (or 12 sheep), pig, or 24 chickens.
- No Dutch Royals may hold a position of power or public authority in Belgium.
- The King of Belgium can mobilize troops in Congo.
- In Oregon, a dead person cannot be required to serve on a jury.
- In Illinois, animals can be sent to jail.
Random Stupid Laws
- One could not wear a hat in the Olympic Stadium in ancient times as it would obstruct someone’s view.
- Anyone who violates the terms of a proclamation such as failing to appropriately celebrate Peanut Day or Jaycees Week–is guilty of a misdemeanor.
- It is illegal to fish from an overpass in the city.
- It is illegal for a woman to call a man for a date.
- It is illegal for a man to be sexually aroused in public.
- Roosters must be at least three hundred feet away from any residence if he wishes to crow.
- It is illegal to sell laughing gas with the intent to induce laughter.
- Between the hours of 8AM and 8PM, 70% of music played a radio station must be by French artists.
- A girl must avert her eyes from her father when she speaks to him.
- Bowling on the sidewalk is illegal.